JPBD Selangor, formed as a Town and Country Planning Office in 1958, was a part of the Town and Country Planning Office for the States of Selangor, Negeri Sembilan and Melaka. Its office was first located at the Town and Country Planning Head Office in Damansara, Kuala Lumpur.
The first Town and Country Planning Officer of the state of Selangor was W.Fairbank who was also the Officer for the Town and Country Planning Department of the states of Selangor, Negeri Sembilan and Melaka. The Town and Country Planning Office of the State of Selangor was established on 1 September, 1960.
In the year 1970, the office moved to the Selangor State Secretary Building in Jalan Raja Laut but because of office space problem and the flood that hit Kuala Lumpur in 1971, the office was moved to Jalan Spooner in 1975.
In May 1978, the Town and Country Planning Office of the State of Selangor was moved to the Selangor Economic Development Corporation Complex in Shah Alam. There were 54 employees at the time.
In December 1982, the department moved to the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah building in Shah Alam. After 20 years of operation in the building, the department again moved to the Darul Ehsan Building , Shah Alam in May 2002 until present.